Thursday, January 31, 2013

Stew for breakfast? Why not?

Dawn-Marie is a fabulous cook.  She is amazing to watch in the kitchen as she prepares delicious items that she usually shares with others, especially ME.  I have sat many times at her kitchen table while she prepared a delicious lunch for me after we meet on Mondays.  She dances around the kitchen and makes the most difficult recipes seems so easy. Her actions in the kitchen have encouraged me to be a bit more adventurous in mine and so that brings us to this morning's breakfast that I enjoyed. 

I got up early to make Green Pork Stew.  Dawn-Marie made this for me a while back and it was so awesome that I made it for my husband a couple of days later.  We love this delicious stew and often crave it as I did yesterday.  I knew I had to make it soon and so this morning decided to do so and let it simmer all day on the stove.  Well, I decided to "taste test" some and ladled out a bowl for breakfast.  I can't think of a better way to start the day.




Here is the recipe:

1 pork roast cut up in bite sized chunks
1 large onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
1 T cumin
1 large can (or 2 small) green enchilada sauce
1 can hominy
2 yucca roots, peeled, sliced and cored
Chicken broth...a couple of quarts, plus water, as needed

Brown pork in a little oil along with the onion or skip browning and cover pork with chicken broth.  While that starts to simmer, throw in everything else.  Add liquid to cover all ingredients by a couple of inches.  Once the pork is opaque and yucca starts to soften, you can taste for seasoning.  It will basically cook in about 40 minutes, but if you turn it down at that point and let it simmer very low for a few hours, it will thicken, and the flavors meld.  This one reheats beautifully.

Now that last statement on DM's recipe makes me laugh because we NEVER have any leftover.  We will eat absolutely every drop the day I make the stew.  Never fails.

So give this delicious stew a try.  Don't be intimidated by the yucca root either.  Simply cut the roots into 1 inch slices then cut each slice from the outside toward the core, letting it sort of break.  This will expose the core, which you can then pull out.  It is a thick thread, but impossible to remove full length.

If you enjoy this stew recipe, do check out 365Being as Dawn-Marie creates many fabulous recipes for this awesome publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment